I can't even begin to tell you how amazed and shocked I feel at this moment. I was doing my daily shopping at Kmart, since they are doubling coupons this week I have gone in every day. I had in my cart a few items, and of course since I had coupons, it was taking the checker some time to get things rung up. My kids were good, well-behaved at this moment. I was chatting with the lady behind me and she was asking me if I worked outside the home and if I felt organized. My answer to both of those was no. She told me how she raised 5 kids and that it was tough but how fortunate she was to have done that. Well...the checker finished my coupons and of course told me my total and as I was swiping my credit card, the lady said, "I want to pay for your items." I told her no, but that was kind of her to offer. She then handed the cashier $20 and said, "I am paying for your items." She continued with, "When I was your age and raising my kids I had wished someone would have handed me $20 to help pay for my groceries. I want to do that for you." I thanked her and said okay. I grabbed my bag and began walking away when she stopped me and said, "here is your change." She didn't have it in her hand, the cashier was still holding it. I again told her she didn't need to do that and she had done more than enough. She again said," $20...and this is your change." My items were only a little over $13, so she was handing me $6 and change. I thanked her again and told her I would someday pass her kindness on to someone else.
I can't believe that it happened. I am grateful and feel blessed. She didn't know me or know my lot in life. She wanted to do a kind thing and I feel that being on the receiving end, I need to keep my eyes open and provide little act of kindness toward others.
2 comments:
What a wonderful story to tell...and an even better memory
hello, you don't know me but I was friends with Matry in highschool. I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful story you have shared. Hope you will follow up with your act of kindness in the near future! :)
Post a Comment